Seresto collars

To talk about all things not related to Tamaskan

Seresto collars

Postby Kelly_Rose » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Does anyone use Seresto collars? My friend is a trainee vet nurse and she sings it praise but wondering if anyone on here has used them and can offer a review?
If they work at repelling fleas and ticks then I'd definitely invest in one every 8 months as they're not that expensive.

Website for those curious:
http://www.seresto.com/en/home/
Kelly_Rose
Junior
Junior

Re: Seresto collars

Postby Blustag » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:08 pm

When I lived out in Portugal there were a lot of people using collars to repel insects and they were making the dogs and owners really ill
I have never used anything like this, and have never had a problem with either ticks or fleas my whole breeding life spanning over
40 years. Having said that I have had to take the odd tick off my dogs after a trip to Scotland but other than that .....nothing.
Blustag

Postby Pollyanna » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 am

I use Seresto collars on my lot (3 dogs and a cat) because we live surrounded by sheep and bracken, and the dogs are constantly in the stream so spot on treatments would be less effective. Only ever found one dying tick in 8 months, never any fleas.

As a vet, I've not had any adverse reactions to these collars reported to me, some dogs may have thinner hair around the collar, and obviously they stay on all the time so not good for show dogs as any collar left on all the time tends to leave a collar line in the fur.

The collars used in Portugal are usually against sandflies because of leishmaniasis, I believe these are more prone to reactions but I have less experience with that type.

Overall it depends on what your risk factors are. Preventative treatment of fleas is probably unnecessary in most cases with healthy animals - keep an eye out and treat if you find any. Ticks can carry disease, but tend to be restricted to certain areas - think Wales, Scotland, sheep, bracken, and in the South East (ticks spreading diseases from the Channel Tunnel outwards). If you are regularly in those areas, it's worth using prevention all the time, so Seresto is good, otherwise if it's only the occasional visit I'd probably take my chances and check my dog carefully if I visited an area that might have ticks.

Oh, and they're non toxic if one puppy eats his sister's collar ;)
Pollyanna
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Pollyanna wrote:I use Seresto collars on my lot (3 dogs and a cat) because we live surrounded by sheep and bracken, and the dogs are constantly in the stream so spot on treatments would be less effective. Only ever found one dying tick in 8 months, never any fleas.

As a vet, I've not had any adverse reactions to these collars reported to me, some dogs may have thinner hair around the collar, and obviously they stay on all the time so not good for show dogs as any collar left on all the time tends to leave a collar line in the fur.

The collars used in Portugal are usually against sandflies because of leishmaniasis, I believe these are more prone to reactions but I have less experience with that type.

Overall it depends on what your risk factors are. Preventative treatment of fleas is probably unnecessary in most cases with healthy animals - keep an eye out and treat if you find any. Ticks can carry disease, but tend to be restricted to certain areas - think Wales, Scotland, sheep, bracken, and in the South East (ticks spreading diseases from the Channel Tunnel outwards). If you are regularly in those areas, it's worth using prevention all the time, so Seresto is good, otherwise if it's only the occasional visit I'd probably take my chances and check my dog carefully if I visited an area that might have ticks.

Oh, and they're non toxic if one puppy eats his sister's collar ;)

Thanks for the input. When I lived out in Portugal Sand Fly was always a worry but fortunately never affected us. I was glad to get back to UK though
eventually lol. Sand Fly (Leishmaniasis) is also found in all the southern parts of Spain, France etc and I always warn anyone heading in that direction to be aware and treat dogs before they leave UK as an extra preventative. There are all sorts of nasties now arriving in from Europe and thankfully when I was living out in Finland there didn't seem to be anything out there, so that was a relief, except that is for the bears and wolves :lol:
Blustag

Postby Kelly_Rose » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for the input guys! Because we live in the north west of England, near lots of forests and trecking routes I think ticks could be a problem in the summer so may be a case of getting one for the warmer months just to be on the safe side!
Saw some bad reports on the collars but they were all from American sites and seemed like people were using the large breed collar for small dogs so wanted more opinions!
Getting a second thumbs up from a vet professional makes me feel confident in them, but I'll also talk to people at our puppy class to see if there is a risk up here (only moved up here last year)
Kelly_Rose
Junior
Junior

Postby Blustag » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:30 am

I am from the West coast living between Liverpool and North Wales so spent a lot of time in forests, woods the beach and so on, and still never had a
problem with either ticks or fleas. I don't know why, and I have lived in different parts of the world but still no problems... guess I am just lucky and
always had lots of dogs together :D
Blustag

Postby CatherineK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Lots of people use it in my area (Berlin).
CatherineK
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Return to Lounge Room