Food Reccomendations

For General Tamaskan Chat

Re: Food Reccomendations

Postby brundlefly » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:13 am

I'd like to reiterate my statement that I wrote earlier on about Blue Buffalo. Orijen is really hard to find where I'm from so I'd need to order it online, and that's incredibly expensive. I actually am now employed with Blue Buffalo, and Rhaegar is doing fantastic on the Wilderness Red Meat puppy formula. I notice his stomach is totally picky when it comes to whatever goes in his stomach. Even if i feed him cheaper treats, his stools were soft and incredibly stinky. I now give him grain-free BB treats and they've hardened back up.. But I still haven't figured out the deathly puppy farts! :shock:
brundlefly
Puppy
Puppy

Postby Blustag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:31 am

Can you get Skinners over there ?
Blustag

Postby okami512 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:01 pm

I haven't seen the Skinners brand here. I think I'm going to keep Vargr on Orijen though. I called Orijen and they told me to reduce the amount I was feeding because I was giving him too much. Since I have done that a couple days ago, his stools seem a bit firmer! Orijen is super nutrient rich so I guess that makes sense. I hope it works out becaus Orijen is awesome quality food.
okami512
Puppy
Puppy

Postby Blustag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I hope it works out for you too. Just watch his weight with you reducing his intake ;)
Blustag

Postby Themurphys » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm

okami512 wrote:Ash, how is Luna doing on Orijen? I've been feeding Vargr Orijen 6 fish but his stools have been soft and he still is a bit skinny so I'm going to try switching him over to Wellness Core since it has fiber and slightly less protein to see how it goes! I've researched a bunch of other brands (only the best ones) and it came down to Wellnes Core or Blue Buffalo.

She's been great on it. I am always curious if she is eating enough though. Right now she weighs 38 pounds, not sure if that's the tight weight for a 5 month female tamaskan?!
Themurphys
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Themurphys wrote:
okami512 wrote:Ash, how is Luna doing on Orijen? I've been feeding Vargr Orijen 6 fish but his stools have been soft and he still is a bit skinny so I'm going to try switching him over to Wellness Core since it has fiber and slightly less protein to see how it goes! I've researched a bunch of other brands (only the best ones) and it came down to Wellnes Core or Blue Buffalo.

She's been great on it. I am always curious if she is eating enough though. Right now she weighs 38 pounds, not sure if that's the tight weight for a 5 month female tamaskan?!

Its a hard question to answer that without having the dog in front of me. Do you think she is too lightweight? can you see
her ribs? Depends on her height and body build too. Are her ribs 'covered'. You don't want lots of fat covering them nor
do you want your fingers to bounce off them when you run them along them. You also don't want her overweight at such
a young age. If you can send me a picture of her side on I may be able to tell from that :D
Blustag

Postby okami512 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 am

Ash, I wouldn't worry too much. Vargr weighs 41lbs. And his vet says he looks great! I switched his food to taste of the wild puppy food and he's doing well. He never took too well to Orijen or Acana. I think the pups from this litter just have a leaner build! :D
okami512
Puppy
Puppy

Postby Blustag » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 am

There are definitely some bloodlines that are leaner than others for sure :D Some are very lean as they go through their
teens until they mature at around 2 to 3yrs old. Yogi was one of them. He was quite lean as a youngster right up until
he hit about 5yrs old and now he is quite the heavyweight and is 11yrs old now. :D Then we have the other extreme
like Susi, Axle, Nanny and some others who only have to look at food and they put weight on lol. Just like humans :D
Blustag

Postby okami512 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:21 am

Really? Axle is heavier built?! I thought she looked fairly lean in the pics as well as Bodie. Of course, I haven't seen what they look like now. I've just noticed that comparing pups from Bodie and pups from Maverick, there's a difference in body type. Maverick's pups seem to have a stockier build where Bodie's pups seem to have the more lean look. :D
okami512
Puppy
Puppy

Postby Blustag » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am

okami512 wrote:Really? Axle is heavier built?! I thought she looked fairly lean in the pics as well as Bodie. Of course, I haven't seen what they look like now. I've just noticed that comparing pups from Bodie and pups from Maverick, there's a difference in body type. Maverick's pups seem to have a stockier build where Bodie's pups seem to have the more lean look. :D

Yes you are correct Bodie does pass on tall lean dogs whereas Mavericks depending on who he is mated to are a bit stockier.
Must get some updated pics of Axle :D
Blustag

PreviousNext

Return to General