Rally training

To talk about all things not related to Tamaskan

Rally training

Postby Logan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi all, I've been doing my PGCE year which has without a doubt been the hardest year of my life! I'm coming to the end now, light at the end of the tunnel! Anyway, I've started doing some Rally obedience training with Winnie, my friend runs a session every 2 weeks and so far so good. Hoping she will be a titled tamaskan by the end of the year!
Has anyone else done rally and have any tips for us newbies?
Laura Viarisio - Logan and Princess Winnie.
Zola, Aegon, Tonka, Batman, Callie and Benjen the cats.
+ some rats
+ some ferrets
Logan
Tamtastic
Tamtastic

Re: Rally training

Postby Blustag » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Logan wrote:Hi all, I've been doing my PGCE year which has without a doubt been the hardest year of my life! I'm coming to the end now, light at the end of the tunnel! Anyway, I've started doing some Rally obedience training with Winnie, my friend runs a session every 2 weeks and so far so good. Hoping she will be a titled tamaskan by the end of the year!
Has anyone else done rally and have any tips for us newbies?

Well done and hope all goes well for you. As for the rally obedience training sessions. What is actually involved in this particular one, and then perhaps I can give you some advice :D

Don't forget we have our obedience competition coming up at our show in May ;)
Blustag

Postby Logan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 pm

It's different stations, heel work between stations and then the station tasks involve sit, sit and down,finish, continental finish, walking towards me and sitting in front, and I think that's it for the first level. I'm struggling to get her to sit at heel, she always wants to turn to face me to sit!
Laura Viarisio - Logan and Princess Winnie.
Zola, Aegon, Tonka, Batman, Callie and Benjen the cats.
+ some rats
+ some ferrets
Logan
Tamtastic
Tamtastic

Postby Annie-Hyena » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 pm

A did a "have a go" Rally at a dog show recently, and Tamriel was fantastic :D I hope to do it properly with her when she's older, let us know how you get on!
Chilli, Holly, Annie, Ned, Tamriel, Serenity
Annie-Hyena
Tamtastic
Tamtastic

Postby Blustag » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:46 am

Logan wrote:It's different stations, heel work between stations and then the station tasks involve sit, sit and down,finish, continental finish, walking towards me and sitting in front, and I think that's it for the first level. I'm struggling to get her to sit at heel, she always wants to turn to face me to sit!

Sounds a bit like the KC bronze, silver and gold perhaps. When I worked with Winnie a few years back I found her very attentive and always wanting to please. Her heel work was lovely and she was spot on. To get a straight sit you need to get your footwork correct and place her in her sit straight beside you on your lefthandside. I can demonstrate for you at the show but if you can understand this. As you are walking with her on the left doing her heelwork and you have your lead loosely in your right hand. When you come to stop gather up the lead,
with your right foot forward start to bring up her head with your lead, lower your left hand down onto her back and put her in the sit. At the same time as doing this you are bringing your left foot up to meet your right so you are then standing with two feet together and Winnie in a perfect straight sit.
It is awkward trying to describe it in writing sorry but hope you know what I mean. Footwork is so important with everything when training your dog. I get people to learn their footwork without their dog until the get it right lol. Also when leaving your dog always step away with your right foot before moving forward. When doing heelwork always step off with your left foot.
Hope this helps. :D
Blustag

Return to Lounge Room