TOILET TRAINING NEW PUPPY

Re: TOILET TRAINING NEW PUPPY

Postby julia.lovell » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 am

Probably worth an update for anyone following Cooper’s progress. He is incontinent due to an incompetent urethral sphincter. We’re going to try a month of medication, Propalin, to see if he can strengthen the sphincter. It’s a well known issue in spayed bitches but a very rare condition in male dogs, especially young ones. If medication fails he’ll have to have surgery and have a band fitted round the urethra, chances of success there are 50/50.

To top it off, his penis is growing at a different rate to his prepuce. This means that we haven’t noticed the dribbling as much as we could have as the pee pools in his prepuce. Wish us luck.
julia.lovell
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 am

julia.lovell wrote:Probably worth an update for anyone following Cooper’s progress. He is incontinent due to an incompetent urethral sphincter. We’re going to try a month of medication, Propalin, to see if he can strengthen the sphincter. It’s a well known issue in spayed bitches but a very rare condition in male dogs, especially young ones. If medication fails he’ll have to have surgery and have a band fitted round the urethra, chances of success there are 50/50.

To top it off, his penis is growing at a different rate to his prepuce. This means that we haven’t noticed the dribbling as much as we could have as the pee pools in his prepuce. Wish us luck.

I have never heard of this before poor lad :cry: I hope all goes well for him which Im sure it will :)
Blustag

Postby BlaiddBach » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:30 pm

Awww bless... I think I've come across one case like this before (in an irish wolfhound I think that was) but yeah it's super rare in males... at least now you've got a cause for it though... training wouldn't have been any help at all poor boy... fingers crossed for him x
There's a wiggy one, and a waggy one, and a woofy one, and a whiney one...
And they're all made out of wiggy-waggy and they all woo just the same!
BlaiddBach
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Training