Puppy diet

Puppy diet

Postby GunStar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:08 am

I've read about the BARF, and varying other, diets available on here, and that 1-12 month old puppies need 4 meals a day.

Any suggestions or advice on what to begin with for them?
GunStar
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Re: Puppy diet

Postby Blustag » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:26 pm

GunStar wrote:I've read about the BARF, and varying other, diets available on here, and that 1-12 month old puppies need 4 meals a day.

Any suggestions or advice on what to begin with for them?

Hello and welcome to our forum. YOu would feed puppy on whatever the breeder has been feeding and take
ongoing advice from them. Puppies need 4 meals a day from weaning to around 12 weeks and then reduce
to 3 meals until they are around 5 months and then twice daily.
Blustag

Postby Kelly_Rose » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Hello! Welcome to the forum :D
If you're interested in BARF/raw feeding, then definitely join the group BARF UK on Facebook, they have a starter guide and everyone is very helpful if you have questions!

We put our pup onto a raw diet at 12 weeks old as he never settled on the kibble again once he came home with us (runny poops :cry: ) I'm so glad we put him on this diet as he is thriving now! At first we had him on 4 meals and at about 14 weeks we put it down to 3 meals, and now he's coming up to 6 months old he's not showing much interest in his first meal of the day so we are going to put him down to 2 meals soon. It's recommended to have them on 2 meals around 6 months of age anyway and he seems ready.

If you have any questions about raw feeding feel free to ask! I know a few people on here give a raw diet, and I've been learning all about it from the day we went on the waiting list for our pup! (Careful, learning about BARF can become an obsession!) :D
Kelly_Rose
Junior
Junior

Postby GunStar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Aah, many thanks.

So yeah, I had looked at a diet my friend feeds his alsation as a point of reference; a lot of raw meats and chickens, though he tends to avoid bones, says they're brittle.

I asked if he just meant chicken bones but he said all bones? I'm literally here for information before I even buy a dog so please don't feel as though you'd be patronising me by giving me the advice I very much need...!
GunStar
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:22 am

GunStar wrote:Aah, many thanks.

So yeah, I had looked at a diet my friend feeds his alsation as a point of reference; a lot of raw meats and chickens, though he tends to avoid bones, says they're brittle.

I asked if he just meant chicken bones but he said all bones? I'm literally here for information before I even buy a dog so please don't feel as though you'd be patronising me by giving me the advice I very much need...!

All bones are good for dogs except weight bearing bones such as marrow bones as they can fracture the teeth.
All bones 'must' be given raw and 'never' cooked. When they are cooked that is when they become brittle and can
cause serious damage. If you google the BARF diet you will find tonnes of info on there. Don't go on just what
one or two people say but do as much research as possible :D
Blustag

Postby Kelly_Rose » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:07 pm

As Lynn said, raw bones are fine except weight baring bones from large animals (so no leg bones from lamb size and up, but poultry is fine). A lot of people worry about chicken bones as we've grown up being told they're dangerous, but only if cooked! Ragnar enjoys raw chicken drumsticks often :).

What you do need to be aware of in terms of feeding bones is that bone content should be only around 10% of the dogs diet. This is especially important in puppies to ensure healthy bone development as too much or too little can be detrimental. Also having to much bone will cause solid painful poops!

The general ratio of food should be 80/10/10. That's 80% pure meat, 10% bone and 10% offal.
Offal is organ meat, and half of the offal should be liver due to certain vitamins and minerals, but not the whole 10% as it's too rich and will cause runny poop! So only 5% of the diet should be liver, the other 5% should be kidney, spleen, pancreas, testicle or brain (kidney is easiest to get!).

Now I know this can sound confusing! I'll give you the figures we currently use:

Ragnar currently eats 3x 350g meals a day, 1050g total daily.
80% meat = 840g
10% bone = 105g
10% offal = 52g liver an 53g kidney

Now these amounts aren't always true every day, but they are generally balanced over the week which is what you want. Also each meal isn't 80/10/10 but the daily amount aims to be.

And a final note on feeding bones, it's advised with the first few bones you feed to hold them to help your puppy learn how to chew on them which prevents gulping! If we give Ragnar an odd shaped bone he brings it to us and wants us to hold it and show him where to start! He did this the other day with a whole chicken leg (thigh and drumstick) as he usually just has half xD

I know it all seems very confusing and overwhelming at first... but you'll get your head around it! Or you can cheat a little and buy complete meals but it does work out much more expensive that way!
Kelly_Rose
Junior
Junior

Postby GunStar » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:13 am

Nice one!

Thanks a lot for all the info; I'll write it down in my little book. (Just got a littlenotepad and put tabs in for sections like feeding, toilet training, wellbeing, grooming etc.)

That's some quality info on the holding of the bone, I greatly intended to keenly observe when feeding bones but holding it to prevent swallowing does make a world of sense.

Thanks for the ratios too, I'll start on those and test and adjust based on what he leaves or decides he doesn't like.
GunStar
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:24 am

That's good advice from Kelly_Rose and I will also add that I feed cooked veggies and give fruit. Again you can google
all the best veg and fruit to give to dogs. Sorry this is short but I am up to my eyes right now :roll:
Blustag

Postby Elwisia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

How sensitive are Tamaskan tummies in general?

My cat's diet is generally raw meat (Natural Instinct brand) in the colder months, alternate with grain free wet food and then grain free dry food on the warmer months (and occasional wet). While he is allergic to chicken and beef in large quantities, he is not sensitive to sudden changes in protein (he gets venison, lamb, fish, duck and rabbit) as I got him used to it when he was young, in case feeding him the same protein all the time would lead him to develop more allergies against a specific meat.

I was wondering what's it like for Tamaskan tummies? Would they do well on a varied diet of different proteins and vegetables, or would they need to stick to one type and any changes will give them upset stomach?
Elwisia
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Elwisia wrote:How sensitive are Tamaskan tummies in general?

My cat's diet is generally raw meat (Natural Instinct brand) in the colder months, alternate with grain free wet food and then grain free dry food on the warmer months (and occasional wet). While he is allergic to chicken and beef in large quantities, he is not sensitive to sudden changes in protein (he gets venison, lamb, fish, duck and rabbit) as I got him used to it when he was young, in case feeding him the same protein all the time would lead him to develop more allergies against a specific meat.

I was wondering what's it like for Tamaskan tummies? Would they do well on a varied diet of different proteins and vegetables, or would they need to stick to one type and any changes will give them upset stomach?

They are weaned on fish4puppies and best kept on that fed soaked for first few months. After that a gradual change to whatever
suits you is fine. Talk to me when you come. Also there is much on here about different diets. :D
Blustag

Next

Return to Diet