Tamaskan's and Cats

Click here to talk about anything Tamaskan related

Tamaskan's and Cats

Postby debbiej » Fri May 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Hey All,

I have been chatting to Lynn at Blustag about her beautiful Tamaskan's over the last couple of days, and she suggested I join this forum and chat with you fine people.

I currently have an 11 year old Tabby and 2 x 3 year old Maine Coons. We call our Tabby the Don as we're sure he encourages the Coonies to do naughty things on his behalf :)

I was wondering if any of you are Cat owners? And what ideas do you have for creating a happy and peaceful house with your cats and Tamaskan's?

My boys are all outdoor cats and are pretty laid back, but I'd still welcome any advice.

Debs
debbiej
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Re: Tamaskan's and Cats

Postby Blustag » Sat May 30, 2020 9:08 am

Hi Debs. Welcome to our forum :D

We also have Tamaskan Dogs UK Group (closed group) on facebook. Lots of people use that too. Just ask to join :D
Blustag

Postby BlaiddBach » Sun May 31, 2020 6:03 pm

My Tamaskan boy loves his cat... he was about 2 and a half before we got our little cat and definatly doesn't lack a prey drive, yet the two of them get on like a house on fire (although we were very careful about introductions and it was several months before they were allowed to be together unsupervised)... kitty is definatly in charge of the relationship and will let him know if he's done something she doesn't like but neither of them has ever done any actual damage to the other even on the couple of occasions I did worry he'd paw splatted her a bit hard!

If you're introducing a pup to already present cats then probably you'll have it easier because they will likely very quickly establish their own rules for pup and you can start from the very begining with training how you want the pup to interact with the cats... the bigger worry would really be an over zelous correction from a cat before pup has learned what is and isn't acceptable... so basically lots of supervision and training around the cats until things are really settled and stable... and plenty of places for the cats to hide/get away from pup.

There are numerous other people on here/FB that have cats and Tams including one who breeds Maine Coons so it's definatly more thatn possible for them to co-exist... hope there's some food for thought there anyway :)
There's a wiggy one, and a waggy one, and a woofy one, and a whiney one...
And they're all made out of wiggy-waggy and they all woo just the same!
BlaiddBach
Veteran
Veteran

Postby debbiej » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am getting a puppy enclosure and also plan on keeping him in a seperate room for the first week(s) to get him really settled. Then we will go super slow with my three cats. My Maine Coons are floppy soppy love machines, so I think they'll do quite well. My older Tabby is nicknamed "The Don" because he is in charge of all the cats (and dogs) on the Farm where I live. My neighbours think it's hilarious, he was very good with our Maine Coon's when we introduced them a few years ago. He occasionally has a little grumble when he's hungry but is very patient with them.

I can't believe how beautiful Tamaskan's are. I'm reading up on clicker training and watching Zak George's YouTube channel for training tips. I can't wait to meet my new boy... Ooof I'm so excited! I'm being a Puppy bore to my friends, I bet they're glad they're in lockdown so they can just ignore my whatsapp messages ;)

Debs
debbiej
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 am

Welcome to the world of Tamaskan. Just wait until you want another and some people have 3 and 4 :lol:
Blustag

Return to Talk Tamaskan