Hello

New forum members can make their introductions here

Hello

Postby KAB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am

Hello all, this is my first post here. I live in Devon and have one dog currently, a large and delightful Great Dane cross Mastiff. We are planning to get another dog and have been looking at various breeds. We love the look of the Tamaskan Dog and from reading online their temperament seems ideal for us (if reared by good breeder, which of course is number one priority for any dog we get). I am looking for a pet dog, a companion who will be a central part of the family. I do not intend to show, certainly not breed but we will be taking him (we do want a him) to dog training and I am wanting to try my hand at agility. Long walks on the coast and moors will be mandatory :)

However, we have never met a Tamaskan and no one we speak to seems to have heard of them! We have met a Northern Inuit or two in our time and have found them to be wonderful dogs. In many ways they do seem very similar to the Tamaskan Dog but clearly there must be some differences? So my first question to all you experts is, what would you say the main differences are between the two breeds?

Thanks.
KAB
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Re: Hello

Postby Blustag » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 am

Hi and welcome to our forum :D There are many differences between the NI and Tamaskan. Temperament is one of them with the Tamaskan being much more gentle. Also the Tamaskan have been health tested since the beginning of the breed, and all breeding dogs/bitches have been carefully selected for the best quality and health. Hips are very important and because we have been
selective, we are now proud to say we have several zero hip scores. Also type is different with colour, shape and size. I could go
on all day, but if you need to know more then email me direct to arcticbreeds@yahoo.co.uk :)
Blustag

Postby KAB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 am

Thank you for the prompt reply! :D Your dogs look beautiful. I shall certainly email you with further questions of which, no doubt, I shall have may.
KAB
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Sabrina » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi and welcome ^_^ I'm not able to really tell you the difference between the who as I don't think I've ever met a NI. But my two both have beautiful temperaments, Freki we've had from a puppy and he's very loving and people orientated but also loves other dogs. Geri we adopted from the tamaskan rescue a few months ago at 5 years old and she is also very people orientated, very loving.

Freki has a great dane bestie :D They are brilliant together as Freki is very high energy and the great dane was great as matching his energy! Training is a must with any dog but from my experience they are very intelligent dogs, Freki was top of his puppy class but then hormones kicked in and he realised that he was clever enough to run rings around me :lol: but training has created an amazing bond :) When we got Geri she was really well behaved, well past the teenager stage, but she picks up new things really easily :)
Sabrina
Junior
Junior

Postby KAB » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks Sabrina, that is very helpful (and reassuring!) information.
KAB
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby kitsune » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:17 am

Hi,
Welcome,
I was a little bit in the same boat as you before I got my girl, I visited Lynn before deciding though and loved the dogs.
I have found lots of differences between Tamaskan and NI, Tamaskan are generally more consistent, no blue eyes, coats have less length variation (climate will alter it a bit though), the markings are also more consistent.
However through owning a Tamaskan and knowing a few NI I am very glad I went for a Tam, mainly because of size.. I love big dogs however as I'm sure you know from having a dane x their size holds them back in some aspects. I do both obedience and agility with my girl (although we will hopefully be taking a few months out to have a litter) and could not do agility competitively with an NI they're just too big and not agile enough. Some also have skeletal issues due to size..

I'm glad to hear you are interested in obedience, I'm trying my hand at it and its great, she is no border collie but is getting there and the judges always love her!!
kitsune
Yearling
Yearling

Postby KAB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am

Than you for the information Kitsune, much appreciated.
KAB
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Return to Welcome